Good news for everybody running a jailbroken version of iOS 5 on their device. BigBoss just released a Semi-Tethered Jailbreak. Of course, we still have to wait for a real untethered jailbreak, but for all of you who want to enjoy iOS 5 on your jailbroken iPhone right now, this could be useful to you.
For those of you who don’t know what a tethered or untethered jailbreak is, here’s a short explanation: If you have an untethered jailbreak, you are able to boot your iPhone or iPad without connecting it to your computer everytime you restart it. The problem is that untethered exploits are much harder to find that tethered. Thanks to GeoHot’s Limera1n exploit, we are able to apply a tethered jailbreak to our iPhone 4 devices running iOS 5. A tethered jailbreak means you have to connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC every time you need to restart your device or else it won’t boot at all. This is particularly annoying if you are on the road and you would like to turn your phone off to save some battery power.
In this situation, the SemiTether from BigBoss might come in handy. Essentially, it allows you to boot your device (tethered jailbreak) to boot without connecting it to a computer. BUT you will have limited functionality until you restart it again using your computer.
Features of the Semi-Tethered Jailbreak:
- You can use the phone and sms (text messages) apps
- You can use every other stock app on iphone.
- You cannot use mobile safari
- You can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
- You cannot use the stock mail app. You could install a Gmail app from the appstore instead.
- You cannot use any jailbreak tweaks, apps or cydia until you boot tethered.
- While in the SemiTether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak iOS 5 notification such as SBsettings to notifications or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
You can download SemiTether in Cydia. Click here for step by step instructions.
via thetechjournalFollow us on Twitter of Like our Facebook page to get the latest news from our site: @SiriHacks folgen